2008-06-24

An irritating title

Hi. I know it’s real late at night, but I can’t sleep because the title of a BBC news article irritates me soo much.
The title is “Peace Pledges as Whale Meet Opens
(If you want to read this article, click here!)

“Peace pledges” is a noun?
I looked it up in my dictionary and it says pledge is countable.

Is “meet” an adjective?
My dictionary also says that it means “right or suitable”, if it is an adjective.

Is “open” a verb?

Woo, this title irritates me a lot. Help!

-Mu

・・・・・・・・・・
(2008.6.24)
A Japanese man told me the answer…

Peace pledges (are made) as [=when] meet opens [=convene]

It is difficult to understand headlines!!!
・・・・・・・・・・
(2008.7.2)
look up
2: look (something) up
if you look up information in a book, on a computer etc, you try to find it there:
*Look the word up in your dictionary.
*I'll just look up the train times.

to look for information in a book, on a computer etc
search • surf • look up • go through • trawl/trawl through • scour • browse

-Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

No comments: