2008-08-17

O-Bon!

Hi. I haven't written anything lately, because I was a bit busy and suffering from the terrible heat. But it’s a bit cooler today, and I feel comfortable, so I decided to write again.

It’s Obon season in Japan now. Most business people take days off and go back to their hometown, where their parents live. Now I’d like to show you an explanation article about Obon.

The O-Bon (or Urabon-e) festival, held for three days either in mid-July or mid-August, welcomes back the spirits of the dead for an annual visit to their homes. It is basically a Buddhist festival but it is also closely connected with Shinto ancestor worship. Unlike Christian All Souls’ Day, held in the gloom of early winter, the festival is held at the brightest time of year; it is a mixture of fond memories and ancestor respect with lively communal events such as Bon-odori dancing. Many families try hard to get together, just as they do at the New Year.
-“Are Japanese Cats Left-handed?”

When I lived in Tokyo, we had this event in mid-July. My aunt is originally from Tokyo, and she said we should do that then. (??) But, most people in Tokyo now are not originally from Tokyo, so they have this event in mid-August and go back to their hometown around then.

My aunt once said to me, “I don’t care what you believe in, but do respect your ancestors.” She knows her husband (my uncle) and his brother (my dad) don’t believe in God, and they told me not to believe anyone or in anything again and again. They just told me to believe myself. But even for them, Obon is a very important event, because they love their family. It may be because they experienced real tough things, when in China (especially coming back from Manchuria) and several years after that.

Anyway, I also respect and appreciate my ancestors. If they didn’t exist, I couldn’t be here!

*I don’t want to mention the World War Ⅱ here, because I have no energy to do so. But I want to say this. I’m really happy to be friends with people from other countries, which were enemies then. We had better not to forget the tragedy, but it is wrong to hate each other because of it. We should remember to tell our children not to do the same thing again.

-Mu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to explain what I wanted to write in (??) part here.

My aunt is originally from Tokyo. So she doesn't think she have the event in mid-July. So, when I lived in Tokyo with my uncle and aunt, I had the event in mid-July.

My aunt knows a lot of traditional ceremonies for each event. I used to be excited to know new ones. For example, when in Obon, we jumped over a small fire 3 times and a half. I don't remember the exact meaning of that now, but I'll ask her about it next time I meet her.